Routine is what makes all of us do the things we do, as humans we are creatures of habit. This can be good but also be bad too.
In life there have been many people with more natural talent than I have. For example – they was better communicators in business or in sport faster sprinters.
But what I have learned, bad routines and talent combined, success is really hard to come by. But with routines and talent, success is easily achieved.
To make sure I can be the best that i can be, I decided to look at my routines. My sleep patterns, eating habits and general thoughts I had.
What I found was, successful people like Conor Mcgregor two time UFC champion, Alex Fegurson Manchester United all time best manager if not the world’s best, in business, entrepreneur Richard Branson to motivation speaker Tony Robbins. They all had one thing in common, ROUTINES.
As I am keen sportsman, when I was younger routines helped with my mindset. Simple things like going into a game, having the same shirt number (14) and visualising how I was going to win that very game with a winning goal. So, i took this same mindset into business. Sport routine gave me so much confidence to achieve success, that I was otherwise not able to do without it. Applying this into a business environment had the very same outcome as well.
This is what I changed and maybe it could help you too.
1. Consistent morning wake up on a working day.
– I wake up 7.00am everyday. At first it was a struggle but after 1 week my brain adapted and I didn’t need an alarm because my brain woke me up naturally. I was fresh every morning ready to attack the day!
2. Consistent morning preparation.
– Being consistent in the morning was about doing eveything in the same order everyday, just like preparing for a football match with the packing of the bag to putting on my kit in the same order.
3. Planning and preparation for the day, week, month and year.
– this is essentially goals and knowing why you wake up in the morning to achieve the things you want to achieve. Now this could be the achievement of nothing or the achievement of everything you set out to do. That’s the choice you make for yourself. But if you are a person who wants achievement in life I implore written goals and goals so big that it pulls you ever closer each day. Then once you have the goal, have a plan of action to achieve it for example if I wanted to go on holiday – what’s the goal of the holiday and what’s the plan to get there? This mindset makes you maximise everyday to the fullest, making you look back and go, that was great day!
4. A just win attitude
– Everyday we come up against problems big and small but it’s how we deal with them that defines our success. So to every problem you face, just ask yourself how can I win at this, who can help me win, what do I need to win. Doing so will make you achive more and make you far more happier with you accomplishing more in your day.
5. Tell everyone about what you are doing and where your headed
– Be consistent with your message and back it up with action. By telling your family, friends, coaches and colleagues what goals and agenda you want to achieve, it’s a sure fire way to hold you accountable every day of your life.
This is important because it’s easy for us to have goals with ourselves and if we don’t meet those goals we can easily forgive ourselves and say it’s ok, but when other people are involved and we don’t achieve our goals that we said we would, there’s feelings of I’ve let you down, regret and not honourable to my word. So this always drives you on to achieve those goals.
For short term goals, always make sure you set realistic achievable goals. And for long term goals you need to think of the bigger picture.
6. Read read read
– Every successful person has a library in their home. Why? Because every book has knowledge, and every book has a million pound idea that could change your whole life. The best thing about books like Think and Grow Rich or Leadership Revolution is that they help us grow as people and help us to understand the skills we are trying to develop. By reading this it can help us come up with new ideas and help pass on the message to everyone we come in contact with. But most importantly it helps a brain be alive as our brain is a muscle and the more we do for it, the more it develops.
7. Healthy lifestyle
– Eating, drinking and working out is essential for keeping your mind and body in top condition. It’s important that you find a meal plan and a workout routine that’s good for your schedule and stick to it, you will see results within weeks.
These are the routines that have got me good to this point of my life where I run my own company. I still want to better my routines and habits as i look for bigger goals in my life.
So, if you’re looking to improve your life with family, finances or just enjoying life more, start doing everything above now and you will succeed and be the winner you know you are!